New Ubuntu Members
This month has seen several forum contributors apply for Ubuntu Membership. The successful applicants were:
Congratulations to all the new Ubuntu Members. If you are an active forum user then you are welcome to apply for membership. Information on how to do so can be found here. Good luck!
Migrating Tutorials and Tips to The Community Wiki
Advantage Wiki: Community maintained, peer reviewed, and easier to maintain.
Disadvantage Forums: Limited peer review and maintenance (only forums staff and the Original Poster).
This does not mean that the tutorial forum will be completely closed.
We propose that:
- Authors post tutorials on the Ubuntu community wiki. Before starting a new page, search the wiki to see if your content exists and/or simply needs to be updated.
- The community assists in both migrating the forums tutorials and maintaining the wiki.
- The Tutorial & Tips section should be used to support specific wiki pages. Support questions should be migrated to the support sections.
- Collaboration with the community. Other projects (outside the forums) use the wiki documentation.
As far as outdated information is concerned, we would like to archive old threads as either they fall inactive or become outdated. Please report outdated tutorials using the standard method – clicking the Report Abuse button.
Ubuntu Forums IRC Channel
We are making a big push for greater community interaction, and are actively promoting our IRC channel. Many of the forum staff now link to it in their signatures and we would encourage others to do so too. The forum now has a link to the channel under Quick Links menu item. The IRC channel is a place for friendly lighthearted chat with forum members and all are welcome. Please note that the channel follows the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and trouble makers will be removed.
With the release of the latest Ubuntu version we have closed the Precise development subforum and moved it to the archives. The new Quantal Quetzal development forum has been created and can be found here. Anyone looking to get involved with testing should have a look through this excellent wiki page.
Next Forum Council Meeting
The next Forum Council meeting will be held in #ubuntu-meeting on May 23 2012 23:00 UTC. Here is the agenda for the meeting. If you would like to add anything to the agenda then feel free, all we ask is that if you add to the agenda please attend the meeting. All are welcome to attend them and participate in discussion.
Monthly Forum Stats
- 24748 new users registered
- 68707 new posts
- 14988 new threads created
* these stats are accurate for up to 27/04/12